Friday, December 26, 2008

OpenSolaris Audio And Memory

Sound is now working. I installed the latest OSS package. After a reboot, the update did not fix the sound issue--the card was still not recognized. I then tried source files, but had issues getting it to build. Un-installed the oss package, rebooted, and the audio worked. I can't explain what changed, but audio is now working on an Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller just fine.

OpenSolaris is getting a new sound engine--let's hope it works better than the various Linux offerings we've struggled with over the years.

I did have to reboot the OpenSolaris box this morning. For the second day in a row, all the memory was used up in the morning, and the machine became completely un-responsive. I came across the post Where is the memory gone?, and I applied the limits to the ZFS cache. Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

The machine has been running great other than the memory issue. I have NAT and Firewalls working now too.

No comments: